So I’ve rebuilt my low poly water shader from scratch! The reason for the rebuild is that the shader I had, and have shared on here was quite limited platform wise, only worked in forward rendering and on DX11 capable hardware, which felt veeery limiting.. So fast forward to today, and I’ve got my New Universal Shader running on everything! With reflections working on supported platforms, and also I now detect where water is shallow to get the foamy look along the shore..
Edit: This is what it can look like in action:
Screenshots from iPhone:
It looks awesome on the iPhone, but no reflections on my iPhone 5 (Edit: Reflections are working!).. Which only supports Open GL ES2.0 i think.. Will test on 6S soon. On tvOS it does not look that nice, but I think that has something to do with the way lighting is done on that platform, not sure! (Edit: It now looks really good! Quality settings was wrong!)
Updated the low poly water shader a bit. Now collects shadows in a way. Still not perfect, and a bit messy, but it works in a way. Also added a Unity Package you can download to check it out for your self. Still only works on DX11 capable hardware.
I wanted to do some viking age inspired low poly buildings and stumbled upon the story of Uppsala temple. A heden temple that might have been in Uppsala. A religious center where every ninth year, nine days of sacrificing took place, and every day a total of 3 men and animals where sacrificed to the gods and hanged in the tree of sacrifice and the grove outside the temple. The temple was surrounded by a golden chain that could be seen from afar. The temple was burned and the tree of sacrifice cut down by King Inge Stenkilsson the elder, and a christian church was built in it’s place. The story of the temple was written down by Adam of Bremen. But due to the lack of sources, the existance of the temple is uncertain.
I made the model based on an old drawing I found on wikipedia. This one:
With a little sprinkle of imagination I’ve ended up with this:
When I’m not making games or shaders I enjoy building 3D models in Blender. I’m quite addicted to the low poly, flat shaded style so it’s all that kind of models. Of course the fact that low poly is simpler and faster to make is important for me since I don’t have time for anything else.. Here are some in progress renders I’ve done lately..
Nisse and varg.. The santa-like nisse is rigged as well, I’ve used the character in a Unity test project..
Hi, folks! I’ve continued working on my water shader! I’ve added transparency and today I added impact waves to the shader, which I’m quite happy with managing to do! It’s limited to 10 simultaneous “impact waves” at the same time at the moment. But adding more is not a problem. The collision points and impact force is sent to shader from script. And waves are calculated in shader.
Have a look at what it looks like in action:
Progress on Battle Maze has been really slow for quite a while, but not as slow as the updates on this site. I’ve gotten sidetracked by alot of other projects, and personal stuff. Projects I’ve been working on is updates to 3ounce and other apps I’ve made, and I started working on a new game that I probably will never finish. But I’m now back to working on Battle Maze again, and progressing slowly. I’ve decided to use the new UNET Networking API introduced in Unity 5.1 for network games in Battle Maze. So far it seems quite simple to set up, and things are actually working. Documentation of the new API is a little lacking at the moment though so I have to google-hunt a lot to find solutions for simple problems that pop up. But it’s getting there.. I think! I’ve changed alot of the way the game plays lately so I’ll come back with some screenshots and maybe videos soon!
I’ve spent alot of time since my last post working on 3ounce.. And I’m getting closer and closer to re-releasing the game. I don’t have much left on my todo-list. But I do have a little work left in the sound Department… Game sound is not something I’m really good at.. Up until now I’ve been using music and sounds that are Public domain and I’m probably just sticking with that for 3ounce, since I don’t have the money to get someone to make something good for me, and a lot of the Public domain stuff I’ve found online is great! Will be working on the audio this weekend and believe I can finish most of what I have in mind.. After that I think all that is left to do before release is fine tuning.. Will spend some time on making a good trailer for the game also.. Which is another area I’m not very good at… See you later!
It’s been a while since my last post, but I’ve also got a lot of work done!
3ounce has changed radically since it was released for Windows Store. The Things I have changed is:
New Maze-generating code. Creates “better” Mazes now. Minor changes.
New player control. Before I rotated the entire maze at input, while the player was always falling down. This was quite heavy to process when the Mazes got bigger.. So I changed my code, so now you change the direction of gravity instead, which has improved performance very much!
New 3D models (Blender) added for levelcubes, pickups, goalmarker, obstacles ++
New particle effects upon pickups, Death, and goal.
New pickup and goal placement. Through the use of pathfinding algorithms (A*)
Added obstacles around the Maze, With the possability to “die” (Move 4 steps back).
Alot of other stuff
I’ve also tested my game on Android, and I’m working on testing it on iPhone (need to borrow a Mac).
Here running on PC, Nokia Lumia 930, Samsung Galaxy SIII and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.
Here’s some recent screenshots of the game (Some things has already changed from this version):